This recipe is fantastic in so many ways.
To start with, cold rice is high in resistant starch which is a prebiotic, or food for the good bacteria. Resistant starch helps beneficial bacteria to colonize the gut for them to stay there longer and be more effective.
While most grains offer a healthy dose of fiber and beneficial carbohydrates, there are some that are superior to others, and wild rice is one of them.
Like quinoa, Wild rice has a higher protein content. It is also rich in antioxidants, B vitamins, magnesium, fiber, and many other nutrients. It is known for improving the digestive system and increasing energy levels.
Aside from the health benefits, the nutty and chewy texture is a fresh unique twist on other traditional rice dishes.
In this recipe, we combine red apple, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, goji berries, and fresh mint to create a beautiful dish that satisfies all the senses. It is refreshing, wholesome, and filling.
This recipe is super fast, simple, and will store well refrigerated for up to one week.
For more information on resistant starches, go to this article.
- 1 cup wild rice (option to soak rice overnight for optimal digestion)
- 2 cups water
- 1 red apple, chopped
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup goji berries
- ½ cup cooked chickpeas (if using canned drain liquid and rinse)
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- Juice of ½ lemon
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons EVOO
- Black pepper to taste
- Rinse rice well
- Transfer to a small pot along with water
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 40 minutes. Rice should be chewy but
- Allow rice to cool
- In a bowl, add rice and all remaining ingredients
- Mix and season to taste.