This recipe is packed with lots of healing foods. To start with, cold potatoes are high in resistant starch which is a prebiotic, or food for the good bacteria. Resistant starch helps beneficial bacteria to colonize the gut for them to stay there longer and be more effective.
Furthermore, the recipe contains actual probiotic-rich foods such as sauerkraut. You can replace it with lacto-fermented dill pickles (not the ones in vinegar).
Developing this recipe took me back to my Eastern European roots where potatoes and sauerkraut are staple foods. I still remember my mom making this salad for large family gatherings, and this salad always got high praise. Since I’m not a fan of Polish cuisine, this recipe caught my interest only because of its healing properties and the idea of putting probiotic-rich food together with a prebiotic in one meal.
If you have a problem with nightshades, I do not recommend this recipe. Instead, go to my article about resistant starch and look for other culinary options (yes, there are a few there).
Learn how to add more hormone-balancing ingredients to your meals with our FREE 15 Breakfasts to Rebalance Your Hormones guide here.
- 2 pound red potatoes with skins on, quartered if they are large
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- 4 strips of bacon from pasture-raised pigs
- ¾ cup sauerkraut (lacto-fermented, not in vinegar), chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup chopped spring onions
- ¾ cup mayo (if avoiding eggs, use this recipe: https://hormonesbalance.com/recipes/eggless-mayonnaise/)
- ¼ cup of brine from ferments or 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Boil the potatoes with skins on in salted water for 45 minutes or until they become soft.
- Bake the bacon strips for 45 min or until nicely browned.
- Pour out the potato water and let the potatoes cool off.
- Cut them to ½-inch cubes.
- Combine with all the remaining ingredients and fold them in gently.
- Taste and adjust based on your preferences.
In my cookbook, Cooking For Hormone Balance, you’ll find over 125 easy, delicious recipes to nourish your body and balance your hormones without calorie restriction or deprivation.
All of the recipes are based on 20 hormone-supporting superfoods and 20 hormone-supporting super herbs—with modifications for Paleo, Paleo for Autoimmunity (AIP), anti-Candida, and low-FODMAP diets.
You can get a copy of the cookbook here.