Cold and flu season is here, and we have the perfect remedy to keep your immune system strong and healthy.
Elderberries, well known for their immune boosting properties, are combined with echinacea, ginger, turmeric, honey, and apple cider vinegar.
Elderberries are full of antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals all of which support a healthy immune system, lower blood sugar, improve digestion, and even slow the spread of cancer.
Echinacea, another powerful remedy, also supports immune health.
Ginger is warming and also aids in digestion.
Turmeric is a powerful anti-inflammatory and is full of antioxidants.
Apple cider vinegar is antibacterial, antifungal, and antiviral.
And the spoon full of raw honey truly helps this medicine go down, but that’s not all it does. Raw honey contains a wide variety of polyphenols, amino acids, minerals, vitamins, and enzymes. I do recommend using raw local honey for best results.
This is a potent blend of powerful herbs that will be sure to keep your health and wellness at its absolute best.
Please note that uncooked seeds are toxic and should not be eaten raw. Cooking the berries make it safe for consumption.
- In a medium size pot, add elderberries, echinacea, ginger, turmeric, and water.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer for 50 minutes, or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Press the berries using a potato masher to release more of the berries healing juices.
- Strain into a bowl gently pressing all the liquid out. It is best to do this in a few smaller batches. You may also run this through a nut milk bag if you prefer.
- Add honey and apple cider vinegar to the bowl and mix well.
- Transfer to a clean sterile glass jar and refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
- To keep longer you may also freeze some. I like to do this in ice cube trays to have single frozen portions ready to go.
- I like to combine a squeeze of fresh lemon with 2 tablespoons of the syrup and 6 ounces of hot water for a warm healing elixir.