Resistant starch (RS) is a type of carbohydrate that our digestive enzymes cannot break down in the stomach or small intestine. They, therefore, reach the colon intact, “resisting” digestion.
This explains why we do not see spikes in either blood glucose or insulin after eating food rich in RS and why we do not obtain significant calories from RS.
The key benefit is simple: RS is food for probiotics (whether you take them in the form of a pill or in food – I’m a proponent of doing both). In other words, it’s a prebiotic we often hear about.
The green banana flour in these no-bake cookies makes them prebiotic. Try not to eat more than two of these cookies a day as the flour can be hard on stomachs that aren’t used to it.
For more information on resistant starches, go to this article.
Learn how to add more hormone-balancing ingredients to your meals with our FREE 15 Breakfasts to Rebalance Your Hormones guide here.
- 3 Medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup nut butter (I used cashew)
- ¼ cup desiccated coconut
- ¼ cup walnuts, chopped
- 3 tablespoons green banana flour
- 6 drops stevia extract
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/16 teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch cardamom
- Place everything in a food processor. Pulse until the dates and nuts are finely chopped but still recognizable.
- Once the mixture comes together, measure out 8—1 tablespoon portions.
- Roll each portion into a ball then lightly flatten.
- Sprinkle with some extra coconut or chopped nuts if desired.
- Refrigerate for a couple of hours, or until firm.
- Storage instructions: These can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for several weeks. For longer storage, keep them in the freezer.
In my cookbook, Cooking For Hormone Balance, you’ll find over 125 easy, delicious recipes to nourish your body and balance your hormones without calorie restriction or deprivation.
All of the recipes are based on 20 hormone-supporting superfoods and 20 hormone-supporting super herbs—with modifications for Paleo, Paleo for Autoimmunity (AIP), anti-Candida, and low-FODMAP diets.
You can get a copy of the cookbook here.