Three reasons I think you will love this recipe:
- It’s a great meal to warm you up on a cold day.
- The spices will improve your digestion and absorption of nutrients.
- The Instant Pot will get dinner on your table FAST!
Dhal in India is made with any legume – red and yellow lentils are the staple while chickpeas are used a little less.
Dhal is considered a healing stew. In India, there is a blurred line between where food ends and medicine begins – spices such as ginger, turmeric, and coriander are highly medicinal in their properties.
Legumes, when pre-soaked, are easier to digest so I highly recommend starting the process the day before.
To cook your own chickpeas in the Instant Pot: Begin by soaking a ¾ cup of dried chickpeas with a strip of kombu the night before you plan on cooking the dish. The next day, discard the kombu and drain the soaked chickpeas. Combine the chickpeas with 6 cups water in the Instant Pot. Cook at high pressure for 20 minutes, let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally. Drain the liquid from the chickpeas before using them.
FYI, I do own two Instant Pots:
3-quart – for quick rice, oatmeal, and buckwheat
6-quart – for bone broths, soups, stews
You can also use canned chickpeas in this recipe if desired.
Check out our other easy Instant Pot recipes:
Learn how to add more hormone-balancing ingredients to your meals with our FREE 19 Estrogen Balancing Superfoods Guide here.
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 cup)
- 1 medium yam, peeled and chopped (2 cups)
- 1 medium cauliflower, chopped (3 cups)
- 2 ½ cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 cans coconut milk (13.5 ounces total)
- 2 cups packed baby spinach
- Brown rice for serving, optional
- Chili flakes for serving, optional
- Combine all the ingredients except for the spinach and the rice in the Instant Pot.
- Cook the dhal at high pressure for 15 minutes. You can also use the “soup” setting, but the veggies will get a little soft.
- After the dhal is cooked, let the pressure release naturally, or use the quick release function on the Instant Pot.
- After the pressure is released, remove the lid and stir in the spinach.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve warm alongside brown rice if desired.
- Storage instructions: Once the korma is cooled, store leftovers in the fridge for 5 days.
Learn more with Overcoming Estrogen Dominance
“The body has an amazing ability to heal. We just need to give it the right resources.”
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, my goal is to empower and give you the tools to take control of your hormones and health.
More than 70% of women experience estrogen dominance. The symptoms range from lumpy and fibrocystic breasts to thyroid nodules, hot flashes, fibroids, uterine polyps, painful, heavy or irregular periods to infertility and miscarriages, from mood swings to insomnia, weight gain to fatigue.
So many women have experienced the pain and frustration that comes when they feel their symptoms and complaints are dismissed or minimized. This is particularly true for women who are experiencing the symptoms of hormone imbalance. Even when doctors do offer treatment, it’s typically in the form of prescription medication or invasive surgical procedures.
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, I hope to show that those extreme interventions are often unnecessary, and to give women a roadmap to reverse estrogen dominance using food, herbs, supplements and natural protocols to rebalance hormones.
To get your copy of Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, go here.