This is one example of PFF (protein, fat and fiber) kind of a breakfast or an afternoon snack which will help you stabilize your sugar levels, give you energy and focus. With a good breakfast, we don’t crave snacks and sugar. This is one single big change you can make to your day to start feeling like a star.
You get a good amount of proteins from the tahini (sesame paste), pecans and coconut butter. Then, there is the fiber: both soluble from the pumpkin and insoluble from the flax seed. Then, we have the good fats from tahini and coconut butter.
A smoothie can be like a medicinal bowl of goodness for your hormones. Flax seed to help you manage your estrogen, camu camu (food highest in vitamin C) to support the adrenal and the immune system. Dandelion to support your liver function which takes care of eliminating metabolized hormones to make space for the new ones.
And, it tastes good. Plus, we use local seasonal food which is important in boosting your immune system.
- 1½ cups lukewarm water
- ½ cup pumpkin puree from BPA-free can or, steamed and scooped out fresh pumpkin
- ¼ cup pecans
- 2 tablespoons flax seed
- handful of dandelion leaves
- ¼ inch fresh ginger root, grated
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 1 tablespoon coconut butter (my favored brand is Artisana)
- 1 date, pitted
- ¼ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon camu camu
- pitch of sea salt
- Put all the ingredients in the blender and puree until silky smooth.