This is an easy, super nourishing and detoxifying soup for clear skin and a great energy boost. You can also get highly creative with it; adding optional food or whatever you have left over in the fridge that you don’t want to waste. Even though it’s a soup, it’s hearty enough to make it into a complete meal.
Burdock Miso Soup
Author: Magdalena Wszelaki
Serves: 6 servings
- 2 burdock roots
- ½ cup dried wakame (a type of seaweed)
- ¼ cup shiro miso (white fermented-soybean paste)
- 6 cups filtered water
- Dashi powder (fish stock) without MSG
- ½ pound soft tofu, drained and cut into ½-inch cubes
- ¼ cup thinly sliced scallion greens
- Optional additions:
- Sweet potato, chopped to 1” pieces – very grounding effect
- Bean sprouts – highly nutritious and high in Vit A, B, C and E
- Kale , bok choy – your daily dose of goodness comes from these
- Shitake mushrooms – excellent source of selenium and iron
- Grated ginger
- Replace dashi powder with seaweed or shiitake powder if desired
How To Make
- Scrub the burdock root with a brush to get the dirt off but do not peel it.
- Chop the burdock root into 1″ pieces.
- Bring the water to a boil and mix in the dashi powder.
- Add burdock root and boil till soft, approximately 10-12 minutes.
- If adding sweet potato or shitake mushrooms, throw them in now too and let them boil till soft, about 10-12 min.
- Add in tofu and boil for two more minutes.
- Pour off 1 glass of the water and stir in miso paste.
- Take the pot off the heat.
- Add the miso paste back to the pot and stir it well. Make sure it is not boiling as high heat destroys the nutritious enzymes in the miso paste.
- Throw in the seaweed, cover pot and let stand for a few minutes until the seaweed softens and expands.
- You can add in any other ingredients that might please you, such as the kale, bak choy or bean sprouts. There is no need to boil them, let them get cooked from the heat of the soup, for about 3-4 min.
Keeps well in the fridge for a week.
[…] Burdock Miso Soup […]
[…] Burdock miso soup […]
[…] Turmeric Detox Veggie Soup Easy Miso Soup Burdock Miso Soup Quick Sauerkraut Salad Arugula and Salmon Sashimi Salad Orange Fennel Salad Beetroot Tarragon […]