You can make your own probiotic-rich drink from a juice. I used a kefir starter from Body Ecology – as long as there is sugar, the bacteria will thrive; eat up the sugar and release beneficial bacteria to populate your gut.
Carrots and turmeric are a classic pairing and the addition of fresh orange juice and ginger add a little sweetness and spice in this refreshing juice kefir.
- 2 cups freshly squeezed carrot juice
- 2 cups freshly squeezed orange juice
- 3 coins of fresh ginger ¼ inch thick
- 1 Tablespoon freshly grated turmeric root OR 1 ½ teaspoons dried
- 1 packet Body Ecology water kefir starter (I use this one)
- In a clean 1 quart jar, combine the carrot juice, orange juice, ginger and turmeric.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the Kefir starter and stir.
- Cover the top of the jar with a cloth or coffee filter and secure with a rubber band or twine.
- Let sit at room temperature (72 – 74 degrees) for 24 hours.
- Remove the cover and taste.
- For a "fizzier" drink, let sit for another 12 hours.
- When you are happy with the flavor top with a lid and refrigerate. Use within 1 week.