This Thai Beef and Long Beans with Sweet Basil recipe is a quick and simple version of a Thai dish, you will fall in love with the combination of the ingredients; basil, sugar, fish sauce, kefir leaves. It will taste better than what it sounds, I promise. You might need to make a trip to a Thai market but it’s well worth it; most of the ingredients will keep well for months and kefir leaves can be frozen.
Thai Beef and Long Beans with Sweet Basil
Author: Magdalena Wszelaki
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 6 tbsp oyster sauce
- 8 tbsp chicken stock or water
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 inch ginger root, grated
- 4 tbsp coconut oil
- 8 garlic cloves
- 6 bird’s eye chillies, lightly crushed
- 4 kefir leaves
- 1 lb or 0.5 kg fillet steak, finely sliced
- 1 lb or 0.5 kg long beans
- 1 medium onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 handfuls of Thai sweet basil
How To Make
- Mix the fish sauce, oyster sauce, stock and sugar in a small bowl
- Heat the coconut oil in a wok or a frying pan and stir fry half the garlic until light brown.
- Add half of the crushed chillies and half the meat and stir fry over high heat for 2-3 minutes or until the meat is cooked through
- Remove from the wok
- Repeat with the remaining garlic, ginger, chillies, kefir leaf and meat, till the meat is cooked but not overcooked
- Return all the meat to the wok
- Add the onion, long green beans and fish sauce mixture and stir fry till beans are soft
- Add basil leaves and stir fry till basil begins to wilt
- Adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve over brown rice.
[…] Mushroom Leek Stir Fry Chicken Livers Magda’s Style Easy Thai Salmon Thai Beef and Long Beans with Sweet Basil […]