Unlike most bread, this loaf contains no yeast and requires no sourdough starter.
Instead, this buckwheat-based bread uses fermentation to create a naturally leavened loaf. Fermentation offers an important gut-healing benefit – it makes it more digestible. In spite of its name, buckwheat does not contain wheat and is, therefore, free of gluten.
It contains a great deal of fiber, magnesium, and manganese.
Learn how to add more hormone-balancing ingredients to your meals with our FREE 19 Estrogen Balancing Superfoods Guide here.
- 1½ cups raw buckwheat groats (not the toasted variety known as “kasha”)
- 1¾ cups mineral water (if using filtered, be sure it contains no chloride or fluoride)
- 1¼ teaspoon sea salt
- Olive oil for greasing
- Rinse buckwheat groats under running water.
- Combine the groats and water in a large bowl. Cover the bowl with a plate or lid and let the mixture soak at room temperature for 8 hours.
- Transfer the groat mixture to a blender or food processor and pulse several times until groats and water are well combined but still coarse. Do not overblend them - or the fermentation will happen too quickly.
- Transfer this mixture back to a large bowl (I like to use Pyrex so I can see the batter), cover and let it ferment at room temperature ranging from 72F to 76F for 12 to 24 hours or until the batter becomes bubbly and slightly raises. In winter, I leave the bowl in the oven with the light on and leave the oven door ajar.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Line the baking pan with parchment paper and grease with the olive oil.
- Stir the salt into the batter. Transfer the batter to the baking pan.
- Bake uncovered for 50 to 55 minutes or until the toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool the bread before slicing.
The bread can be stored in an airtight container for two days at room temperature, or up to 5 days in the fridge.
Learn more with Overcoming Estrogen Dominance
“The body has an amazing ability to heal. We just need to give it the right resources.”
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, my goal is to empower and give you the tools to take control of your hormones and health.
More than 70% of women experience estrogen dominance. The symptoms range from lumpy and fibrocystic breasts to thyroid nodules, hot flashes, fibroids, uterine polyps, painful, heavy or irregular periods to infertility and miscarriages, from mood swings to insomnia, weight gain to fatigue.
So many women have experienced the pain and frustration that comes when they feel their symptoms and complaints are dismissed or minimized. This is particularly true for women who are experiencing the symptoms of hormone imbalance. Even when doctors do offer treatment, it’s typically in the form of prescription medication or invasive surgical procedures.
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, I hope to show that those extreme interventions are often unnecessary, and to give women a roadmap to reverse estrogen dominance using food, herbs, supplements and natural protocols to rebalance hormones.
To get your copy of Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, go here.