This breakfast is packed with what your body and thyroid need to have an energetic and blood-balancing start of the day.
I use goji berries, also known as wolf berries. They have long been proclaimed a superfood, for all the right reasons. I use handful of dry berries which are about 50 grams. They are so nutritionally potent, you’ve got to get them into your morning routine.
What’s in goji berries (based on 50 grams):
- Iron. Wolfberries have 4.5 mg iron per 50 grams (50% DRI).
- Selenium. 50 grams of dried wolfberries contain 25 micrograms (50% DRI). Selenium is one of the key minerals most thyroid patients are deficient in and it’s much needed in the conversion of T4 to T3 hormone. Selenium should be a big part of your thyroid diet.
- Vitamin C. Vitamin C content in 50 grams of dried wolfberries has a wide range (from different sources) from 15 mg per 50 grams to as high as 75 mg per 50 grams (respectively, 16% and 82% DRI).
- Riboflavin (vitamin B2). At 1.3 mg, 50 grams of dried wolfberries provide 50% of DRI.
- They are also a good source of calcium, potassium and zinc.
I also use grapefruit to add some zest, and parsley — which I would love to see you add to support your liver detoxification for optimal thyroid nutrition. Remember that a clean liver is key in your thyroid diet.
It’s best to soak the goji berries at least two hours, or simply leave them overnight to soak so they are ready for breakfast. Do not throw away the soaking water but rather use it in your smoothie.
- Handful of dry goji berries that have been soaked
- ½ grapefruit
- Handful of fresh parsley
- Handful of hemp seeds
- 1.5 tbsps of ground flax seed (flax seed meal)
- 1 tbsp of milk thistle
- Handful of almonds, pecans or walnut
- 1 scoop collagen (get it on Hormone Balance Nutritionals)
- 1 cup of filtered water
- Soak the goji berries for or least two hours or overnight.
- Combine all ingredients in a blender.
- Blend till either very smooth or somewhat smooth if you like chunks in your smoothie.
- Touch your heart and tell it you love it.