These deliciously cozy biscuits nix the gluten, and eggs. The best part? They’re a cinch to make and a dream to eat.
There’s no kneading required to achieve fluffy bakery-worthy biscuits. Keeping hormone balance a priority, this recipe skips processed flour in favor of more mindful ingredients. To keep things egg-free, chia seeds step in as an easy replacement, making this a recipe an instant crowd pleaser.
The Benefits of Using Quinoa Flour
- Quinoa flour is a high protein plant-based flour that is light and airy with a nutty aroma similar to sesame.
- Quinoa flour is also rich in fiber, helping to flush toxins from the digestive system. It’s high fiber content also helps to keep you full.
- Contains all 9 essential amino acids.
- Rich in iron, magnesium and B-vitamins
Kitchen Tips and Tricks
- Cashew kefir stands in for buttermilk adding the same rich texture and tang. Look for cashew or coconut kefir in the refrigerated section of specialty grocery stores or order online.
- Refrigerating keeps the ingredients firm and chilled so they don’t flatten in the oven.
- The ghee should be soft but not melted when adding it to flour. It will melt in the hot oven creating steam inside the dough and result in a more flaky texture.
- Ghee gives the biscuits a buttery flavor and aroma without the digestive upset butter can cause for those with lactose sensitivities. Virgin coconut oil can also be used.
- Before scooping biscuit dough, dust measuring cup with quinoa flour and tap off excess. A light coating of flour helps to keep the dough from sticking when transferring to the baking sheet.
- Slather warm biscuits with coconut butter or homemade jams.
- 1 tablespoon raw honey
- ⅔ cup plain cashew kefir
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 cup quinoa flour
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- ⅓ cup ghee
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- Preheat oven to 400ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Stir together chia seeds and kefir in a small bowl and set aside to “bloom” chia seeds for 10 minutes.
- Combine dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl. Add ghee and use hands or a pastry cutter to mix. Mixture should be grainy and course. Gradually fold in kefir mixture using a spatula until thoroughly combined and moist. Transfer mixture to refrigerator for 10 minutes to chill.
- Scoop ¼ cup mounds of dough onto baking sheet 2 inches apart. Bake for 14-16 minutes. Cool biscuits on baking sheet 10 minutes before enjoying.
Psst: For a fun breakfast treat, slather these warm biscuits with No-Not Tigernut Butter for a nutrient-dense snack to fuel your mornings. Get the Original Tigernut Butter here.