You might be wondering, why are we using activated charcoal in a smoothie recipe? Isn’t that used for poison victims? It’s true. It’s so powerful that in hospitals they often use large amounts of activated charcoal to help people who’ve ingested something harmful. But in much smaller amounts, charcoal is a great detoxant for regular (NON-poisoning!) use. It pulls toxins from our digestive tract, including chemicals that we ingest (not on purpose, but inevitably in our polluted and chemical-laden world).
So in small amounts, charcoal can be a great tool for pulling toxins out of the digestive tract. Some people even bring capsules of charcoal with them while traveling or eating out at a restaurant in case they get exposed to something that may make them sick or not feel their best.
Keep in mind though, that charcoal is REALLY good at absorbing things from the GI tract—so take it 2–3 hours away from any medication (don’t take medications 90 minutes before and 90 minutes after ingesting activated charcoal). Check with your healthcare provider if you’re unsure.
This smoothie also contains the powerfully detoxifying cauliflower. A cruciferous veggie, it’s great for estrogen detox. Since we’re exposed to so many estrogen-mimicking chemicals in our environment that can mess with our own hormones, cruciferous veggies like cauliflower are great at pulling those out of the system and helping to restore hormonal balance. This refreshing smoothie is the perfect balance of detoxifying, healthy ingredients!
NOTE: If you get constipated after taking charcoal, it’s probably best not to take it. It does constipate some people.
- 2 cups frozen cauliflower chunks
- 2 cups almond milk
- 1 tablespoon activated charcoal
- 2 tablespoons collagen peptides
- 4 drops liquid stevia
- Fresh strawberries for garnish (optional)
- Place the frozen cauliflower chunks, almond milk, activated charcoal, collagen peptides, and liquid stevia in a high-speed blender. Blend well for a few minutes until you get a thick, creamy smoothie.
- Divide the smoothie evenly between two glasses and garnish with fresh strawberries if desired.