During the dog days of summer, it can be tough to stay hydrated. You might be thinking, just drink more water! But it’s not that simple. Drinking plain water when you’re out in the sun, heat and humidity often isn’t enough to replace the precious electrolytes lost through sweat. To maintain adequate hydration, we need the right balance and levels of electrolytes. And when you’re already running low, water alone can flush out those precious electrolytes and make dehydration even worse.
How? Some of us are salty sweaters, meaning we lose salt easily through our—you guessed it, sweat—so we need to replenish that salt along with potassium and the other electrolytes.
How to know if this is you? Do you feel worse after drinking plain water? Do you feel terrible after being out in the heat or sun for hours? Do you notice you get a headache after being out in the heat or after exercising? These are signs that you may be struggling with low electrolyte levels or just inadequate hydration status.
This drink will help with all that. Low in sugar but high in electrolytes, this refreshing drink will help to hydrate the body. And unlike commercial sports drinks, which are full of food coloring and sugar (dehydrating you even more), this drink is full of natural electrolytes and naturally hydrating.
The sea salt is for the sodium needed in your cells to bring water into the cells and maintain proper hydration, and the cream of tartar is a great sugar-free source of potassium. Grapefruit is also rich in potassium along with vitamin C and other nutrients. Give it a try the next time you need to hydrate and let us know how it goes.
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup fresh grapefruit juice
- 3 cups sparkling water
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Fresh grapefruit slices for garnish (optional)
- Combine the apple cider vinegar (ACV), fresh grapefruit juice, sparkling water, raw honey, cream of tartar, sea salt, and vanilla extract in a large jug. Mix well to combine.
- Divide the ACV tonic evenly between 4 glasses and garnish with fresh grapefruit slices if desired.