I learned a version of this recipe in Tuscany, Italy at a traditional foods culinary workshop conducted by the fabulous Jenny McGruther of the Nourished Kitchen. This recipe uses the bitter but oh-so-good-for-you dandelion and marries it with the sweetness of an orange, making it a highly refreshing and delicious salad.
Dandelion has special healing properties, and it is especially beneficial for the liver detoxification pathways that get rid of estrogens.
AIP: Replace fennel seeds with fresh chopped mint.
Low-FODMAP: Replace dandelion leaves with spinach leaves. Omit orange. Replace orange juice with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Replace orange zest with lemon zest.
Low-Histamine: Replace orange juice with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Replace orange zest with lemon zest.
Anti-Candida: Omit orange. Replace orange juice with 1 tbsp lemon juice. Replace orange zest with lemon zest.
Learn how to add more hormone-balancing ingredients to your meals with our FREE 15 Breakfasts to Rebalance Your Hormones guide here.
- 1 bunch of dandelion leaves, cut to strips
- 1 bunch of arugula, leaves roughly torn
- 1 fennel bulb, sliced thinly
- 1 orange, peeled and cut to small pieces
- ⅓ cup of orange juice (This should be from 1 juicy orange)
- ⅓ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp orange zest (Zest the orange before you juice it, it’s much easier that way)
- 1 tsp ground fennel seeds
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- Place all dressing ingredients in a jar, close the lid and shake vigorously until the mixture is well emulsified.
- Combine dandelion, arugula, fennel bulb and orange in a large salad bowl.
- Mix in the dressing. I like to use my hands to fold in the dressing with the ingredients.
In my cookbook, Cooking For Hormone Balance, you’ll find over 125 easy, delicious recipes to nourish your body and balance your hormones without calorie restriction or deprivation.
All of the recipes are based on 20 hormone-supporting superfoods and 20 hormone-supporting super herbs—with modifications for Paleo, Paleo for Autoimmunity (AIP), anti-Candida, and low-FODMAP diets.
You can get a copy of the cookbook here.
Thank you I will try it today
Yes, please let us know your thoughts Rania! ~Deanna HB Team
So grateful for the recipe, thank you so much! Sounds delicious, can’t wait to try it!
Yes, Enjoy 🙂
[…] Soup Easy Miso Soup Burdock Miso Soup Quick Sauerkraut Salad Arugula and Salmon Sashimi Salad Orange Fennel Salad Beetroot Tarragon […]