If you are looking at getting off caffeine (because of one of the “11 Ways Coffee Messes With Your Hormones and How to Substitute It” article, or another reason) I want to congratulate you. As with many addictive substances, coffee is hard to kick. If you can tolerate caffeine, try matcha tea. I’ve got a full article here on the background, sources and health benefits of matcha if you want to know more.
If you are Japanese, I apologize for transforming this ancient ceremonial tea to something out of Starbucks :-). If you are not Japanese, I hope you enjoy it as your new pick-me-up morning or afternoon drink.
- 2 teaspoons matcha tea (I use DoMatcha or Teavana brands)
- 1 cup room temperature filtered water
- ½ cup full fat coconut milk (if you don't have milk at hand, you can also use ½ cup of water with 2 tablespoons of coconut butter, I like the Artisana brand)
- 1 cup hot water
- 2 teaspoons maple syrup or any sweetener of your choice
- 4 drops liquid stevia (I use Sweet Leaf)
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla power
- 1 scoop collagen (get it on Hormone Balance Nutritionals)
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder (optional)
- Put all the ingredients in the blender but add the hot water as the last ingredient (matcha loses its enzymatic potency in high temperature).
- Blend for 30 seconds and serve as a warm drink or over ice.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, if using.