This Grain-Free Almond Flour Zucchini Muffins recipe really pushes baking principals to their limits. There are no eggs and no grain flours, which are the two principal ingredients that hold, form and make a muffin, right? Let me show you otherwise. My friend asked me “why complicate life?”, which is a good question. The truth is: I myself don’t feel great on grain flours in baked goods, even if they are gluten free; I feel rather lethargic after eating them. I’ve also been working more with the GAPS diet which is ideal for people with seriously compromised digestive tracts. GAPS, however, does not allow grains in the healing phase. Yet, a successful transition is one when a person has many substitution options and feels abundant and not deprived. And who doesn’t like a good muffin?
The other thing I’m doing here is going away from sweet muffins to savory muffins; we get enough sugar from so many foods (even the healthy ones like dried fruit), so this is a creative way to enjoy a muffin sans sugar. A delicious and wonderful recipe for healthy thyroid nutrition.
Warning: the muffin will be dense and moist. It will also be yummy. So be prepared for a different but delightful experience.
- 3 cups almond flour/meal
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 small zucchinis, grated
- a handful of black olives, pitted and chopped roughly
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 2 large tbsp of ground flaxseed (This is to replace eggs. If you can tolerate eggs, go ahead and use them.)
- 6 tbsp warm water (This is to replace eggs. If you can tolerate eggs, go ahead and use them.)
- 1 large tbsp of honey (or stevia if avoiding fructose)
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 2 tsp dry tarragon
- ½ tsp sea salt
- Preheat the oven to 375F or 190C.
- To make a flax egg, combine flaxseed meal + warm water and let it stand for a few minutes to thicken.(If you tolerate egg, you can use egg instead, and omit this step).
- Combine all dry ingredients (flour, salt, baking powder).
- Combine all wet ingredients; zucchini, olives, oil and honey and mix them well.
- Mix dry, wet ingredients, herbs and flaxseed into a liquid mixture; if it’s not liquid enough, add some oil.
- Dish out mixture to about 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 min or till tops are firm.