This antiviral syrup uses the natural power of garlic, ginger, citrus and honey—potent antimicrobials that strengthen immunity.
What makes them particularly important now is the fact that both citrus peel and garlic are ACE-2 receptor inhibitors. That means they down-regulate the very receptor that lets the novel virus get into the cell and wreak havoc. In the simplest of terms: They shut the door on the intruder, stopping them from entering and invading your home.
This recipe takes just ten minutes to make and you probably have all the ingredients in your kitchen right now. If not, you can get them at any grocery store.
The Power of Citrus
When cooking or baking with citrus fruits such as oranges and lemons, the skin is used mostly for zest, while the rest of the peel normally gets tossed away.
However, studies have found that citrus fruits, including the peel, are not only rich in vitamin C, but also help to reduce the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
Also, as mentioned above, citrus peels can inhibit the ACE-2 receptors, which blocks the virus from binding and entering our cells.
Immune-Boosting Properties of Garlic
Garlic has long been revered as a spice that greatly boosts our health because of its immune-strengthening properties.
Whole garlic contains a compound called alliin, which turns into allicin and other sulfur-containing compounds when the garlic is crushed or chewed (which is the reason for its pungent smell and strong taste). Research show that these compounds help enhance the functioning of the immune system.
Most recently, studies found that compounds in garlic essential oil inhibit the ACE2 protein, which the virus binds to in order to enter our cells.
If you tend to fall sick easily, try adding more garlic to your diet as it can reduce the risk of getting sick and the symptoms of cold and flu as well.
Learn how to add more hormone-balancing ingredients to your meals with our FREE 19 Estrogen Balancing Superfoods Guide here.
- 10 cloves of garlic
- ½ organic orange (or lemon) with the peel
- 3-inch long fresh ginger
- ½ cup raw honey
- Crush garlic cloves and set aside for 10 minutes
- Slice the lemon thinly, then chop into small pieces. Transfer to the mason jar.
- Julienne ginger, then cut it into small pieces. Add to the mason jar.
- Finely chop up the garlic and add to the mason jar.
- Pour honey over the concoction until all the ingredients are covered. Mix well and add more honey if there is still room.
- Keep on the countertop. Keeps well for 3 months or more.
- Eat a teaspoon 2 to 3 times per day. Don’t double dip.
- Use freshly peeled garlic: Be sure to use fresh, raw garlic that hasn’t been peeled. Since there are literally only 4 ingredients for this sauce, use only fresh heads of garlic for the best flavor. Do not use store-bought peeled garlic as it can taste bitter and lose some of its potency.
- Peel ginger with a small metal spoon: Given that the ginger root has many nooks and corners that are hard to reach with a peeler, the best way to peel fresh ginger root is using a small metal spoon that can easily reach the difficult areas.
- Use organic lemons or oranges: Since we are including the citrus peel in the recipe as well, it’s important to use organic lemons or oranges to ensure that there is no pesticide residue on them.
Looking for more immune-strengthening recipes that are simple to make? Here are some of my favorites:
- Elderberry Flu Syrup
- Immune-Boosting Winter Syrup (Oxymel)
- 31 Recipes to Strengthen Your Immune System
Find more hormone-balancing recipes in Overcoming Estrogen Dominance
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, my goal is to empower and give you the tools to take control of your hormones and health.
More than 70% of women experience estrogen dominance. The symptoms range from lumpy and fibrocystic breasts to thyroid nodules, hot flashes, fibroids, uterine polyps, painful, heavy or irregular periods to infertility and miscarriages, from mood swings to insomnia, weight gain to fatigue.
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, I give women a roadmap to reverse estrogen dominance using food, herbs, supplements and natural protocols to rebalance hormones. You’ll also find easy, hormone-balancing recipes that are free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, eggs, and nightshades. These recipes are highly anti-inflammatory, low in sugar, and made with powerful medicinal ingredients to help heal your body naturally.
To get your copy of Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, go here.