In the heat of summer, sometimes plain old water isn’t enough to keep us hydrated. What we need is something to help replenish our electrolytes — minerals that are key to a number of vital body functions.
Many trendy electrolyte drinks out there are filled with tons of sugar, colorings, and other yucky additives. That’s why I prefer to make my own so I know exactly what’s going into my body. You’d be surprised at how easy they are to make.
One of my favorite flavor combinations comes together in this Cherry Lime Electrolyte Spritz. You can sip contentedly knowing your body is benefitting from every ingredient:
- Tart cherry: an antioxidant powerhouse that can help with muscle recovery after a summer hike or workout (1)
- Lime juice: helps alkalize the body and is high in vitamin C
- Mint: refreshing and cooling, while providing relief from digestive discomforts (2)
- Sea salt: aids in the replenishment of electrolytes, especially after exercise (3)
- Cream of tartar: a great natural source of potassium, an essential electrolyte
- Honey: raw and local honey contains an abundance of beneficial enzymes (4)
Want more DIY electrolyte drink recipes? Try our low sugar grapefruit and vanilla electrolyte drink or the classic rehydrating lemon spritzer.
If you don’t have these ingredients on hand or need an even quicker electrolyte boost, especially on the go during summer adventures, Morning Ritual might be your new BFF.
This formula contains all of the main electrolytes found in the body: potassium, sodium, chloride, and magnesium. These electrolytes work together to help promote optimal energy levels, brain function, alkalinity, and immune function.
You’ll love the natural lemon-orange flavor that has just a hint of the natural herb stevia for sugar-free sweetness. As someone who isn’t a fan of stevia, I guarantee you won’t even taste it.
- 1 quart sparkling water
- ¼ cup tart cherry juice
- 2 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1-2 tablespoons raw local honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Mint sprigs for garnishing
- Lime slices for serving
- Pour sparkling water and tart cherry juice into a pitcher.
- Add lime juice, honey, salt, cream of tartar and stir until dissolved.
- Pour electrolyte spritz over ice in a glass. Garnish with mint and a lime slice. Enjoy right away. Store remaining electrolyte drink covered in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Brown, Meghan A et al. “Montmorency tart cherry (Prunus cerasus L.) supplementation accelerates recovery from exercise-induced muscle damage in females.” European journal of sport science vol. 19,1 (2019): 95-102.
- Kamatou, Guy P P et al. “Menthol: a simple monoterpene with remarkable biological properties.” Phytochemistry vol. 96 (2013): 15-25.
- Harris, Lisa, and Michael Braun. “Electrolytes: Oral Electrolyte Solutions.” FP essentials vol. 459 (2017): 35-38.
- Miłek, Michał et al. “The Comparison of Physicochemical Parameters, Antioxidant Activity and Proteins for the Raw Local Polish Honeys and Imported Honey Blends.” Molecules (Basel, Switzerland) vol. 26,9 2423. 21 Apr. 2021