I’m in Sicily right now. I don’t know why I picked to come here in July – it’s the hottest month and to be perfectly honest, it’s brutal. You know the kind of unforgiving sun that just burns through your skin like a laser?
Yet, I could not sit still so I ventured out on a hike up a local volcano. The Italian hiking guide said that to it’s a “moderate” hike and showed “2 hours” which I interpreted as a round trip. Turns out that in Italy, 2 hours mean time to reach the peak and by an extremely fit person. I’m moderately fit so it took me 2.5 hours to reach the peak and 1.5 hours to come down.
The biggest problem was: I didn’t bring enough water for a 4-hour hike. I ended up getting very dehydrated and developed a migraine. No matter how much water I drank, the headache did not ease off.
In the evening, I was meeting a new friend for a drink. I told the bartender that I won’t be drinking any alcohol and felt compelled to share my little misadventure. She replied: “Oh, no problem. I now make you a special typical Sicilian summer spritz with aqua frizzante, salt, and lemon. You wait.”
I’m passing on this simple recipe to you. What I love about it is:
- Sea salt – helps to replenish your electrolytes after vigorous exercise in summer
- Lemon juice – alkalizes the body
- Honey – full of beneficial enzymes if raw and local
For more life-changing information on how to use food to rebalance your hormones, check out our FREE workshop “How to Use Food to Rebalance Your Hormones”
- 1 quart sparkling water
- ¼ cup freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice
- 1 tablespoon raw local honey
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Pour sparkling water to a pitcher.
- Add lemon juice, honey and salt and stir until dissolved.
- Add the ice and serve right away.