Chai Sweet Potato Muffins
Equipment: grater or food processor
Author: Magdalena Wszelaki
Serves: 12 muffins
- 3 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- ⅓ cup hot water
- 2 cups of packed grated sweet potato
- 1.5 cups organic apple sauce
- ½ cup ghee, melted (source)
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 cup teff flour (source)
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 teaspoons ground chai mix (source)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
How To Make
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- Combine the flaxseed with the water and let it stand for a few minutes to thicken.
- Combine and mix the wet ingredients; sweet potato, apple sauce, ghee, water and maple syrup in a large mixing bowl.
- Combine and mix the dry ingredients: the flours, baking powder, chai powder and salt in another bowl.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet. Do not over mix as the muffins will then be hard. Add more water if the texture is too dry.
- Dish out the batter to 12 muffin cups.
- Bake for 25-30 min or till tops are firm.
Paleo: Replace teff flour with tigernut flour. Replace brown rice flour with almond flour.
Low FODMAP: Replace sweet potato with yam or carrots.
What can be used in place of ghee? I really want to make these muffins but I prefer to go dairy free. Thanks.
Tin Star has a dairy-free ghee
Do you have a gluten free recipe for this?
And a recipe to make the chai mix?
Did this recipe change? I’ve made it several times before without any issues, but today it is very mushy & won’t set up at all. Is the 1/3 cup water supposed to be listed twice? Only 1 cup each of teff & rice flour? Seem to remember 1.5 cups before. Please advise.
I’m not sure what happened to the recipe. I know Magdalena has been busy creating new recipes but has not updated that one yet.
Hi Kandice, As far as I know it has not been changed. Sorry you are having trouble.
Is there a substitute for rice flour that also doesn’t use nuts? I have a food sensitivity rice, corn & nuts, so I’m trying to avoid them.