Recipe contributed by Ease Oldham.
I love almond milk. So much flavor and the creamy texture makes it the best nut milk around. And it’s alkalizing. Almonds are one of the three alkalizing nuts (the others are Brazil nuts and walnuts).
Make sure the almonds you purchase are raw and I mean raw nuts that have not been flash pasteurized. In California, almonds that have been flashed pasteurized can still be called raw. The idea is that 185 degrees F for 15 to 17 seconds does not cook the almonds but only skin. I’ve tried to sprout these almonds and they do not sprout so they are not raw. Two sources I know to find really raw almonds are a local farmers market where a farmer can sell a small portion of their almonds directly without pasteurizing them and almonds from Spain or Sicily.
This almond milk is particularly creamy and has a great almond flavor because we use only 2.5 cups of purified water to one cup of almonds. Most others use 3 to 5 cups of water. Some of my customers, to cut the cost, use even more water.
I say do whatever it takes to have the highest quality food which means fresh and often raw.
- 2 cups dry unpasteurized raw whole almonds
- 5 cups of purified water
- Soak the almonds in a glass or stainless steel bowl for 12 to 24 hours. Fill with water to a level 2 inches above the almonds.
- Strain and put in a blender with 3 cups of the water – blend for 2 to 5 minutes checking that the mixture is smooth.
- Pour mixture into a nut milk straining bag and squeeze all the liquid you can out of the bag into a bowl.
- Add the two additional cups of water and stir and pour into an airtight container.
- Store the almond pulp in a container or freeze until you’re ready to use.
AIP: use coconut flesh (from a brown coconut, not green) and use the exact same method. Less water will create coconut cream, more water will turn it into coconut milk.
Low FODMAP: substitute almonds with pecans, macadamia or pumpkin seeds.
What brand of almonds on Amazon are truly raw?
There are only two sources Ease mentioned that she can recommend where to find really raw almonds; at a local farmers market where a farmer can sell a small portion of their almonds directly without pasteurizing them and almonds from Spain or Sicily. Please use those suggestions when looking to purchase raw almonds.
Jeanne HB Team
Costco’s are steam pasteurized; but they are readily available and sprout little teeny tiny tails when left 12 hours…the almond milk is so delicious, this is one area I compromised. It still seems they are “alive” anyway.
Thank you for sharing this Heather 🙂 ~HB Team