Antioxidant-rich cacao, immune-boosting ginger, and hormone-balancing pomegranate seeds come together in this delectable chocolate bark for a treat you can feel good about.
If you’re craving something sweet but want to indulge in a healthy way, look for a chocolate with a high percentage of cacao. Chocolate with a cacao percentage of at least 70% has higher concentrations of minerals like iron, copper and manganese. You’ll also be stirring in ginger for spicy-citrus flavor in every bite. This potent herb is known for its immune-strengthening properties, supporting the thyroid, and lowering testosterone. Its anti-inflammatory actions also help keep hormones balanced. You can learn more about ginger’s benefits here.
The star of this recipe is pomegranate–I first became interested in this amazing fruit when my Persian friend told me that in her native home, Iran, women use pomegranates for both fertility and to treat and prevent breast cancer. This is because pomegranate seeds are rich in lignans which provide antioxidant, anti-cancer and estrogenic effects. I talk more about pomegranates effects on estrogenic cancers (breast, uterine, thyroid), fibroids and endometriosis here.
- Because cacao contains a small amount of caffeine, this bark is best enjoyed in the afternoon for a mood-boosting pick me up.
- Experiment with other nuts and fruit by adding walnuts, almonds, dried cranberries or shredded unsweetened coconut.
- 12 ounces 70% or higher cacao dark chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon virgin coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon peeled, minced fresh ginger
- ⅓ cup pomegranate seeds
- ¼ cup shelled, chopped unsalted pistachios
- Combine dark chocolate chips and coconut oil in a double boiler over medium-low heat. Cook until melted, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger.
- Spread melted chocolate on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. Top with pomegranate seeds and pistachios. Transfer to freezer for 30 minutes.
- Using clean hands or a butterknife, break chocolate into pieces. Refrigerate in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
Here’s a sneak peak of my book, Overcoming Estrogen Dominance–dedicated to all women with an inner whisper that healing is our invincible superpower. On Amazon, March 10th.