Flavonoids are the pigments that naturally occur in plants and have many health benefits: They are attributed to reduced inflammation, risk of cancer, heart disease, and asthma while protecting the brain. Good sources of flavonoids are rosehip, citrus and berries, both which play a vital role in this recipe. This recipe is also very high in vitamin C which boosts the immune system and is food for the adrenals.
The Flavonoid Bomb is a great replacement for jam (without all that sugar), can be added to smoothies or just have it straight on a teaspoon. The best way to retain freshness is to always use a fresh teaspoon and don’t re-dip.
- ½ cup dried rosehip
- 2 tablespoons dried hibiscus flower
- 2 tablespoons goji berries or goldenberries
- 2 tablespoons orange peel (dried or fresh)
- 1½ to 1¾ cups unsweetened blueberry, cherry, pomegranate or cranberry juice
- Combine all the dry ingredients in the spice grinder and whiz until well broken up.
- Transfer to the mason jar. Top the dry blend with the fruit juice and leave it on the kitchen counter overnight for the juice to be fully absorbed. Once the herbs have soaked up the juice, transfer the mixture to the refrigerator.
- Let stand overnight.