Almost every person I speak to starts the conversation with: “My doctor is useless and I’m so frustrated.”
The common reasons to this comment are:
- they don’t listen to what you have to say
- they dismiss your symptoms, give you anti-depressants, and ask us to eat less and exercise more
- they refuse to test you for more than TSH and T4 (thyroid hormones)
- they run blood tests for estrogen, progesterone, cortisol and testosterone and tell you that “it all looks normal.” They dismiss urine or saliva tests for these hormones even though they know nothing about them
- they just want you to just take thyroid medication or synthetic HRT
- they put you on birth control pills to “regulate your hormones.
Sounds familiar, yes?
Integrative doctor listings and directories
There is good news. There are doctors who can help. I want to offer you this hope and empower you with this knowledge.
Here are some good go-to resources that will help you find a better physician. And yes, many of them do take insurance.
Take a look at these resources that many of my clients found very helpful:
1. American College for Advancement in Medicine: http://acam.site-ym.com/search/custom.asp?id=1758
2. American Association of Naturopathic Physicians: http://www.naturopathic.org/AF_MemberDirectory.asp?version=1
3. Institute for Functional Medicine: http://www.functionalmedicine.org/practitioner_search.aspx?id=117#results
4. Paleo Physicians Network: http://paleophysiciansnetwork.com/
5. American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine, Physician Locator: http://www.abihm.org/search-doctors
There is one more great trick I want to offer you.
If you are still in no luck to find a doctor, go to your local compounding pharmacy and ask them for a list of doctors who are their customers. We find that often times, doctors who are willing to work with compounded (it means custom-made for you) thyroid replacement therapy are more open-minded and progressive. There is hope.
If you do your homework, you also stand a much better chance to find the right support system.
Order the tests yourself
You can order thyroid tests yourself by going to Direct Labs.
If you want to get your steroid hormones tested (like cortisol, progesterone, estrogen, DHEA, and testosterone), you can also DIY it by going to Canary Club. It’s important to test the steroid hormones through saliva or urine and not blood as the latter is highly inaccurate.
Watch this video for more details on hormone testing.
Go to this page for more details on testing and specific doctor references.