This microwaveable neck wrap will instantly soothe with warm heat for quick relief, complete with the calming aroma of chamomile!
If you love the soothing relief of a hot bath or heating pad, then this DIY rice neck wrap is a must-have for your pain relief arsenal. It’s portable and can be used anywhere you have a microwave – like an office cubicle, hotel room or at home.
Heat is one of the most comforting forms of natural relief for achy joints, headaches, or menstrual cramps. The wrap measures about 22 inches when sewn, perfect for draping around your neck or lower back comfortably.
How It Works
It takes just two minutes to heat up this rice pad, which stays warm for about 30 minutes. After 15 minutes of use, move the rice around the pad to redistribute heat and re-apply.
When to use:
- Before bed to help relax
- When sick to ease aches
- When experiencing menstrual cramping
- After working out to soothe muscle pain
- On back for pain management
- Any other areas that may experience tension or joint pain (neck, knees, etc)
The calming scent of chamomile is mixed with rice before filling the wrap. Use dried chamomile flowers or chamomile tea to enjoy the subtle sweet scent.
Use these herbs to help ease specific ailments:
- Dried Lavender: promotes relaxation
- Dried Mint: invigorating and soothing
- Dried Eucalyptus: ease congestion
- Dried Lemongrass: uplifting
- Do not overheat the wrap to avoid burning skin. Heat in 30 second increments to test your microwave’s heat level.
- Use only microwave-safe materials like 100% cotton, and avoid plastic or synthetic materials.
- This wrap makes a wonderful handmade gift for friends and family.
- 100% cotton fabric (24x10 inches)
- 6-7 cups rice
- ½ cup dried chamomile
- Measure and cut material approximately 24” long and 10” wide. Fold the fabric in half (inside out) so that it is 24” long and 5” wide; this way you only have to sew 3 sides.
- Sew the long side first, approximately ¼” inseam. Next sew one of the short sides.
- Turn inside out so that the rough seams are hidden, forming a tube.
- Fill with rice and chamomile about ⅔ full. Don’t overfill, the rice needs room to conform to your neck.
- Fold the remaining side in to hide the rough edge. Sew closed: you can sew by hand or with a sewing machine.
- Microwave wrap in 30 second increments and test against wrist for desired heat level. Place onto affected area for 30 minutes.