Every time I drink this broth, I feel like I had a shot of caffeine – it has some wonderful pick-me-up properties. This is not surprising – just take a look at the amount of nutritionally-rich and potent food it contains. You can enjoy this broth as a base for soups and stews or have it a warm or chilled afternoon drink.
You will see in the recipe that we use onion skin. Onion peels are high in flavonoids, including quercetin which is great for circulation and slows down histamine which is central to inflammatory reactions including allergies and sensitivities.
If you are freezing the broth, use mason jars and leave an inch below the rim so the liquid can expand when frozen (this way the jar won’t explode). Use quality mason jars, not recycled jars.
- 9-quart stock pot or bigger
- 6 glass mason jars with lids
- 3 medium unpeeled carrots, chopped to thirds
- 1 medium unpeeled yellow onion, chopped to chunks
- 1 medium leek, white and green parts, cut into thirds
- 1 bunch celery, including the heart, cut into thirds
- 1 medium unpeeled yam or sweet potato, quartered
- 2 unpeeled cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 1-inch ginger root, crushed
- ½ bunch fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 8-inch strip of kombu (aka kelp)
- 8 black peppercorns
- 4 whole allspice or juniper berries
- 1 bay leaves
- 6 quarts cold and filtered water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Put all the ingredients into the pot, cover and bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 4 hours.
- Cool and strain the broth to individual mason jars.
- Discard the cooked vegetables.
If you are freezing the broth, use mason jars and leave an inch below the rim so the liquid can expand when frozen (this way the jar won’t explode).
- AIP: Be cautious of juniper berries/cloves, omit if sensitive.
- Low-FODMAP: Replace onion with scallions/spring onion (use the green parts only) and/or add asafetida (make sure it’s gluten-free). Skip leek. Use ½ of yam/sweet potato only. Omit garlic.
- Low-Histamine: Skip garlic.
Find more hormone-balancing recipes in Overcoming Estrogen Dominance
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, my goal is to empower and give you the tools to take control of your hormones and health.
More than 70% of women experience estrogen dominance. The symptoms range from lumpy and fibrocystic breasts to thyroid nodules, hot flashes, fibroids, uterine polyps, painful, heavy or irregular periods to infertility and miscarriages, from mood swings to insomnia, weight gain to fatigue.
In Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, I give women a roadmap to reverse estrogen dominance using food, herbs, supplements and natural protocols to rebalance hormones. You’ll also find easy, hormone-balancing recipes that are free of gluten, dairy, soy, corn, eggs, and nightshades. These recipes are highly anti-inflammatory, low in sugar, and made with powerful medicinal ingredients to help heal your body naturally.
To get your copy of Overcoming Estrogen Dominance, go here.