Due to poor regulation in the cosmetics industry, many lip glosses contain ingredients that can be harmful if ingested over a long period of time. The worse thing is: by applying it on your lips, all the chemicals go straight into your lymphatic system.
The solution is simple: Organic, natural oils such as lanolin, castor and jojoba oil are soothing and hydrating and provide the perfect medium for delivering a light color or sparkle to your lips.
Mica is a mineral mined from the earth and when ground into fine particles it adds color and shine to the gloss. You can purchase mica in many different shades from light pink to dark red. Be sure and purchase mica that is considered lip safe.
Beet powder is made from dehydrated beets and offers a fuchsia matte color to lip glosses. Combine or use on their own for a natural tinted lip gloss that offers shine, moisture and color all with organic, safe ingredients.
- 2 teaspoons lanolin
- 2 ½ teaspoons organic castor oil
- 2 teaspoons organic jojoba oil
- 1 ½ teaspoons beeswax pearls
- ¼ teaspoon Vitamin E or 1 drop rosemary antioxidant (optional)
- ¼ teaspoon mica or organic beet powder
- 5-10 drops essential oil (see below)
- Place first 4 ingredients into a glass measuring cup.
- Fill a small saucepan with water and place the glass measuring cup in the saucepan to create a double boiler.
- Turn the heat on low, occasionally stirring ingredients until the beeswax completely melts, approximately 8 minutes.
- Once beeswax has completely melted turn off the heat.
- Mix in the Vitamin E or rosemary antioxidant and mica or beet powder.
- Continue stirring the mixture as you pour into small tins or lip gloss containers.
- Add 2-3 drops essential oils into each tin and gently stir with small stirring utensil.
- Let mixture cool completely then screw on lid and label.
Medium glass measuring cup
(4) .25-ounce lip gloss tins or glass jars
Bamboo skewer, glass rod or small stirring utensil
Citrus lip gloss: 3 drops orange essential oil, 3 drops grapefruit essential oil, 1 drop neroli essential oil.
Floral lip gloss: 3 drops geranium essential oil, 2 drops lavender essential oil, 1 drop clary sage essential oil.
Mint lip gloss: 5 drops peppermint essential oil.
Chai lip gloss: 2 drops cardamom essential oil, 1 drop cinnamon bark essential oil, 1 drop ginger essential oil, 2 drops vanilla essential oil.
8-12 months at room temperature, if you omit the Vitamin E or rosemary antioxidant the shelf life will decrease to 4-6 months.
Get more delicious healing recipes and learn how to rebalance your hormones with food in Cooking for Hormone Balance.