Brew up a mug of licorice root tea to strengthen your immune system and give your gut a boost.
The Benefits of Licorice Root for Immunity and Gut Health
Licorice root, also known as the sweet root, is a medicinal herb with many benefits. This powerful root contains glycyrrhizic acid, which helps fortify the immune system and helps relieve tummy troubles thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
On top of that, licorice also has an adaptogenic quality, which helps regulate stress hormones like cortisol – countering adrenal fatigue and promoting hormone balance.
Since licorice tea is naturally sweet, no additional sweetener is required. However, if you would like to add a variety of flavors to the tea, you can also add a tablespoon of fresh ginger root or even a couple cinnamon sticks while brewing the tea for extra oomph.
- 4 tablespoons chopped licorice root
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1 tablespoon of fresh ginger (optional)
- Combine the chopped licorice root, water, and ginger (if using) in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Once it comes to a boil, reduce heat to low and allow to simmer for the next 10 minutes.
- Strain the tea and serve.