This natural, homemade whipped lotion is absorbent and leaves your skin soft and supple.
Shea leaves even the driest skin nourished, while calendula is a flower that blooms with vibrant yellow and orange petals. The flower is infused into carrier oils like jojoba to create skincare products that help heal and protect.
This potent flower is rich in antioxidants, helping to soothe inflamed skin from eczema, psoriasis or irritation.
Shea Butter at Glance
- Non-comedogenic: doesn’t clog pores, suitable for acne-prone skin
- Helps reduce inflammation.
- Great for year-round use to treat conditions like dry skin or eczema
- Calendula is naturally antibacterial, making it useful in preventing minor skin infections.
- Calendula preparations are used to ease a variety of skin conditions from bee stings to foot ulcers.
Tips For Creating a DIY Calendula Lotion
- While whipping the lotion, you can tailor the consistency to your preferences. Mix for 3-4 minutes for a thinner lotion or 5-6 minutes for a thicker cream.
- The lotion will solidify slightly at room temperature, but will melt upon skin contact.
- Store your lotion in the refrigerator during the summer for a calming after-sun lotion to soothe skin.
- To save time, you can also purchase calendula oil online. I recommend this certified organic brand on Amazon here.
- ½ cup dried calendula petals
- ⅔-1 cup carrier oil like jojoba or extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces organic 100% shea butter
- 2 ounces organic calendula-infused oil like jojoba or extra virgin olive oil
- Place calendula petals in a clean glass jar and add oil to fully cover calendula. Cover and place in a paper bag in front of a sunny window for 4-6 weeks. Strain oil through a mesh strainer and store in jar in a dry spot.
- Heat shea butter in the bowl of a double-boiler over medium heat until melted.
- Remove the bowl from heat and add calendula-infused oil. Allow oil to cool at room temperature for 30 minutes. Transfer to the refrigerator for 30-40 minutes or until oil turns opaque.
- Use a hand-mixer to whip mixture for 4-5 minutes. The color will turn from yellow to light yellow and eventually a creamy white. The texture of the lotion should be similar to mayonnaise.
- Spoon lotion into a glass jar and store in a dry spot.