The smoky bacon bundles are the perfect appetizer or side dish with pre-portioned servings filled with roasted green beans and garlic.
Adding garlic to your favorite dishes helps to up the antiviral benefits as well as add delicious flavor. Whether you saute it, roast it or add it raw, garlic offers compounds that help support a healthy immune system by stimulating immune cells.
Green beans are an excellent source of fiber, helping to maintain satiety and support a healthy digestive system. They are also rich in antioxidants called flavonoids that may help protect arteries and veins from clots and cardiovascular disease.
No Blanching Necessary
Before roasting, green beans are tossed in avocado oil to help them cook more thoroughly, creating a tender yet crisp green bean with lightly charred skin. Look for French green beans or haricots verts, these are thinner than traditional green beans and are more tender when cooked.
- When choosing your bacon, look for a variety that is processed without nitrates, sugar-free and from pasture-raised pork. This will ensure a healthier bacon that has a higher quality of fat and no unnecessary additives.
- Use thick-cut bacon. This will shrivel less when cooking.
- Pastured bacon can be found in most health food grocers.
Trim the stringy end of green beans with a sharp knife before cooking.
Using a cooling rack placed onto a baking sheet allows grease to drip down, so the bacon can crisp. It also creates even airflow around the bundles.
- 12 ounces French green beans
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon avocado oil
- 4 strips uncured thick-cut bacon, halved
- Preheat oven to 375ºF degrees and line a medium baking pan with parchment paper. Place a cooling rack on parchment paper. Combine green beans, garlic and olive oil in a medium mixing bowl and gently toss to coat green beans.
- Place 10-12 green beans in the center of a half strip of bacon. Snugly fold sides over and secure with a toothpick. Place onto cooling rack on baking sheet. Repeat with remaining green beans to make 8 bundles. Bake for 30-35 minutes. Cool for 5 minutes before serving to crisp bacon. Remove toothpicks before serving.