Soothe dry, cracked hands with my simple and natural hand salve recipe. This is a great salve to use if your hands are prone to losing moisture and cracking, which can be pretty irritating. You’ll just need three ingredients and 10 minutes to get started, plus this recipe keeps for an entire year.
What is Lanolin?
Lanolin is one of my all-time favorite natural ingredients. It is the wax secreted by wooly animals and the type often used in skin products comes from sheep. If this sounds familiar, it’s most likely because you’ve seen it used as nipple cream as it protects delicate skin and is safe for babies. Tip: If you have chapped lips, applying lanolin directly to your lips works like magic and is so much better than the generic stuff you’ll find near the cash register.
For this recipe, we’ll be heating lanolin along with castor oil (moisturizing and anti-inflammatory) and shea butter (high in fatty acids and also reduces inflammation, making it very nourishing for your skin).
- 3 tablespoons unrefined shea butter
- 3 tablespoons lanolin
- 3 tablespoons organic, cold-pressed and hexagon-free castor oil
- 5 drops myrrh (optional)
- 5 drops patchouli (optional)
- 5 drops geranium (optional)
- In a double boiler, add the shea butter, lanolin and castor oil. Heat until all the ingredients become liquid.
- Transfer to the jar and cool for 10 minutes before stirring in the essential oils. Cool completely without putting the lid on.
- Label (include product name and date). Store at room temperature and use within 12 months.
Customize Your Hand Salve with Essential Oils
You can personalize your hand salve with essential oils, depending on the scent and benefits you want. I recommend adding not more than 15 drops total to this recipe. I like to do 5 drops each of myrrh, patchouli, and geranium. However, calming oils like lavender, chamomile and rose would be great too – the options are endless, so have fun with it.
Where to Find Ingredients
Here are our suggestions for some of the ingredients in this salve.
Unrefined Shea Butter: Sun Potion
Castor Oil: Queen of the Thrones