Rhassoul clay can be found in the Atlas range of mountains in Morocco and contains a wide variety of trace minerals that nourish many different hair types.
The negative charge of rhassoul clay binds to the positive charge of chemicals, heavy metals, dirt and other impurities where they absorb contaminants and leave behind restorative nutrients. Cleansing and detoxifying, clay shampoos are wonderful for transitioning from conventional hair products. They leave the hair with luster, shine, and definition.
The kelp and marshmallow powder in this recipe provide slip and shine and ensure that the drawing nature of clay does not over-dry the hair strand or scalp.
If you wish to learn more about how to add herbs to your life to rebalance hormones, join the FREE online workshop “How to Use Herbs to Rebalance Hormones.”
- 1 cup rhassoul clay
- 1 tablespoon kelp powder
- 2 tablespoons organic marshmallow powder
- 1 tablespoon raw, unfiltered apple cider vinegar
- ½ cup distilled water
- 2 teaspoons leucidal liquid
- In a medium (non-metal) bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- Next, add the apple cider vinegar, water and leucidal liquid a spoonful at a time blending the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until the mixture resembles pancake batter.
- Transfer the mixture into wide mouth shallow airtight glass jar or container.
Medium sized glass or ceramic bowl
1 wide-mouth pint glass jar or airtight container
Use ¼ cup clay shampoo at a time, and massage into the scalp.
Using another smaller scoop, spread through the ends of hair in a downward motion. Rinse, or for deeper cleansing allow clay to sit in hair for 3-5 minutes.
Thoroughly rinse all of the clay out, which may take longer than washing out a traditional shampoo.
For oily or coarse hair use sea clay or rhassoul clay.
For dry or fine hair use kaolin or rose clay.
To reduce dandruff and encourage hair growth, add 2 teaspoons amalaki (amla) powder.
Store clay shampoo in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a week.
Get more healing recipes and learn how to rebalance your hormones with food in Cooking for Hormone Balance.